(You want fries with that?)
McDonald’s didn’t invent the upsell, but they’re the most frequently cited example. Probably because there isn’t a man, woman or child on the planet who hasn’t at some point been asked if they want to super-size their meal, add a second apple pie for 10 cents, or add a healthy portion of fries to their order of a salad and mineral water.
An upsell, in its most basic form, is an offer that invites the customer to increase the size of their order in exchange for just a little extra cash. They’re effective because…
- They capture the customer after they’ve ALREADY agreed to make a purchase, and in a state of mind that is open to spending money.
- The price of the upsell (if you’re doing it right) is small when compared to the price of the main purchase, making it seem like an inconsequential addition to the sales total.
Upsells come in all shapes and sizes, but in this article, we’re going to look at a specific style of upselling that Kartra handles very well.
Introducing… The Product Bump!
Kartra’s Product Bump feature allows you to display supplementary products on your order form. Essentially, it’s an upsell offered right at the final moment of the primary sale. A Product Bump displays right next to the “Submit Payment” button, with a toggle that allows the customer to add the upsell to their order with a single click.
It could say…
“Since you’re already ordering our amazing pasta cooker ($45), why not add our starter kit, containing a great selection of pasta and sauces, for just $5?”
“You’ve made a wise decision to order the 10-day coaching course ($997). Why not add a year’s membership to our private mastermind group for just $147 (normally $497)?”
“Congratulations on joining our artisanal jelly bean club ($29 per month). Why not add a taster selection of our greatest bean recipes for just $9.99?”
How to Add a Product Bump to Kartra
Begin by adding the upsell product to your Kartra account. Before you can use an item as a Product Bump, it needs to exist in your account as a standalone product.
Once you’ve registered the product in your Karta account, you can add it as a Product Bump to either a new product or an existing product.
Add (or edit) a product in your account, navigate to the “Checkout” step (1), scroll down and you’ll find an option called “Bump Offers” (2).
Click the Change Button.
Check the box labelled, “Yes, activate the offer bump” (1).
A warning message will appear. Because your main offer and Product Bump offer will be administered as two separate payments simultaneously, there are a few restrictions you should note:
- The main offer and the bump offer cannot be the exact same dollar value.
- PayPal is not supported, so don’t use bump offers if you’ve activated PayPal as a payment method for either the main product or the bump offer.
- Both the main offer and the bump offer must be configured under the same payment gateway.
- The bump offer box is very minimalist from a display point of view within the checkout form. As such, it doesn’t display advanced billing items such as shipping or sales tax. Instead, the bump offer will inherit them from the main offer.
- Again, due to the minimalist display of the bump offer box, no discount coupon field will be displayed for the bump offer.
If you’re happy to proceed, click the toggle (2) to see the Product Bump settings.
Select the product that is going to form your bump offer (2):
- Product Funnel: In which Funnel is your Product Bump?
- Product: Which product do you want to be your Product Bump?
- Price Point: What price do you want to set for your Product Bump?
Edit the “Header Line” (3)
And edit the “Offer Description” (4). It’s a good idea to spend a little time writing a killer description and call-to-action.
What Will the Product Bump Offer Look Like?
You can go to your own checkout page for your main product to see your Product Bump in action, but here’s an example. You can see the bump offer in a yellow, dotted box, just above the “Submit Payment” button.
By choosing a bump that matches the product and a price point that makes it nearly impossible to say no, you’ll have a winning combination that is certain increase your revenue. Even if only 1% of your customers take the Product Bump (and in our experience the conversion rates are usually much higher), every cent you earn on the bump is a cent you wouldn’t have received otherwise!
As always, if you have any questions or run into any problems, don’t hesitate to contact our support team.