One of the most important things you need for a successful marketing campaign is insight.
In this training, we will cover:
- Configuring your lead tracking links.
- Viewing your tracking link performance.
Kartra tracking links are great for helping you measure very detailed performance of how your visitors, customers and subscribers interact with your page and site navigation, calls to action, linked images and, of course, HTML Anchor text links. Using Kartra Tracking Links, you can enable any hyperlink’s click performance to be analyzed, up to and including the value of that link in a marketing campaign.
You can also use Kartra tracking links to update destinations. For example, if you use a Kartra tracking link in an email promotion, say for an affiliate offer, and later you need to change where that link brings your lead, you can do it. Even if that email has already been sent, you always control the destination of the Kartra Tracking Link.
There are many unique ways to use Kartra Tracking links. You can track each emailed link’s performance, from first-click all the way to conversion. Or you can see where in a blog post you are creating the most value for link placement. Maybe you have ads or campaigns out and want to see which ones are generating the highest ROI. Or perhaps it is your sales pages themselves that you wish to track links on. Tracking Links are a great way to measure and improve your sales performance no matter where they are used.
Configuring Your Lead Tracking Links
From that first click, all the way through to conversion, Kartra Tracking Links will give you measurable analytics so you can improve your campaign’s performance. They are easy to use, quick to create and super simple to deploy.
- Go to My Products on the left-hand menu.
- Under PRODUCTS on the top menu, click “Tracking”.
- Click the big green + TRACK LINK button.
- After naming your tracking link and choosing a Category for it, you can select what it is you’re going to track:
- External URL – track traffic coming from an external (non-Kartra) website.
- Your own products – track behavior regarding your Kartra products (created in My Products).
- Kartra pages – track traffic through your pages that you’ve created in My Pages.
- Next, choose what to track:
- Track clicks only – only tracks how many visitors clicked.
- Track clicks and goals – tracks not just clicks by visitors, but also goals that you can set here. You can set three types of goals:
- Optin – this will track whether the visitor submits an optin form that you’ve created.
- Page Visit – this will track whether or not they visited the page (so you can compare visits to clicks).
- Purchase – this will track how many visitors purchased a particular product you’ve created in Kartra, including the price point.
- Next, you can choose to add tags to anybody who accesses this tracking link. You can even create new tags right from here!
- Select whether to add tracking IDs. Kartra supports both fixed and dynamic tracking IDs.
- If you select Dynamic Tracking IDs, the system knows that you will be adding the names and cost per click dynamically.
- NOTE: The dynamic tracking IDs allow you to inject your tracking parameters “on the fly” into this link. Keep in mind that, in order to do that, you will need some custom PHP coding done on your end. Please read our Tracking Links documentation for more information.
Viewing Your Tracking Link Performance
Kartra offers a number of powerful analytics for viewing the performance of your tracking links. Once you’ve configured your tracking links, placed them where they need to be and started getting traffic, you can analyze their performance.
Using the dropdowns at the top of the page, you can narrow down the data being displayed by Category, by tracking link and by time frame.
By clicking the three dots toward the right, you can sort by “All Tracking IDs1” and “All Tracking IDs 2” (these were the IDs you assigned to your links during your link setup above) and you can use the calendar for choosing a custom date range.
Now your tracking link analytics will display in the graph. The numbers on the left will display your total Clicks, Goals, Revenue, Cost, Profit and Return On Investment for all of the tracking links during the time period you selected in the drop down menus at the top.
You can use the colored circles below the graph area to display a line graph showing how each statistic has progressed over time, and you can also Compare All the statistics in an online graph. Each statistic will be represented by its own color on the graph.
Each of your tracking links is listed individually in the list below the graph part of the page, along with all the same stats you can see aggregated in the graph above (scroll down to see this part of the screen). This way, you can tell which tracking links are earning the most Return on Investment and compare them to each other.
Tracking the performance of your links using these analytics is a very powerful way to optimize your entire business!
I’m trying to understand the “external URL”
According to above, “External URL – track traffic coming from an external (non-Kartra) website.”
but when I’m setting the external URL, I need to enter an url to external site and not to kartra,
So if I understand right, I’m tracking people clicking away from kartra or people that clicking a link on an external page that lead to non kartra page.
If I would like to track people coming from outside into kartra page or product, let say link from Facebook to product page, I will use the other 2 options “Your own products” or “Kartra pages” right?
Hi Oren, I recommend reaching out to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is it possible to track links that go on pages that are not Kartra Pages? For example Leadpages or any other page?
Of course! You can create tracking links in your Kartra account specifically for this purpose. The links can be shared in emails or anywhere on the web and Kartra will track clicks and conversions.