Kartra’s Form Builder allows you to easily create stylized and responsive Opt-In Forms so that you can build a highly responsive and clean email list. Using this, you’ll know that you can convert your visitors to subscribers, getting email into their inbox each and every time.
In this training, we’ll cover:
- Designing your lead capture form.
- Assigning a thank you page to a successful lead capture.
- Putting a form on a page built in Kartra.
- Assigning a captured lead to an automated sequence.
The first thing you’ll notice with the builder is that what you see is what you get. When editing your form, you will know exactly how it appears to your potential leads. Not only is there immense flexibility in how it looks but also in where it is placed.
These forms work especially well with Kartra Pages. You can simply click and drag the form you want right onto the page as you’re building it. But if you want the form to be elsewhere, such as your own site or blog, the only coding you need to understand is copy… paste!
You have two codes to choose from: 1) a simple html form with just the input fields and 2) your visually-stunning Java-based form. Simply choose which code you want to use, then copy and paste it into the destination page of your choice. Just like that, you have a gorgeous form to funnel leads to your lists, placed wherever you want it to be, whether on a Kartra page, your WordPress site or any other digital page.
Creating Your Lead Capture Form
Kartra’s Form Builder allows you to easily create stylized and responsive Opt-In Forms so that you can build a highly responsive and clean email list. Using this, you’ll know that you can convert your visitors to subscribers, getting email into their inbox each and every time!
You get there by going to My Forms, then clicking the big green +FORM button on the right, and naming your new Form.
Setting Your Form Fields
To begin with, name and email are the included fields for your form. However, you can remove the name field for a bump in conversion rates!
If you need the additional information, you can also add fields to your form. Keep in mind that the more information you request during opt in, the lower your conversion will be. So be sure you need the additional fields before adding them!
- Select whether you would like a single or double opt-in form. (Marked 1 Below)
- Add the URL of the thank you page to which your customers will be redirected. (Marked 2 Below)
- Confirm both (Marked 3 Below)
- Hit Save and next. (Marked 4 Below)
A lead has filled in your opt-in form; now you want them to see a Thank You page so you can let them know they are appreciated The good news is that, in Kartra, this couldn’t be easier!
Once you’ve published a Thank You page to use, simply put the URL for that page into the box labeled “URL of Opt-in thank you page” on the Confirmation step in your Form setup. Just like that, your form will thank those who sign up!
You can also send a Thank You Email to those who sign up. On the next step after “Confirmation,” which is called “Welcome,” you have the option to set up a “welcome message email.” These emails are as customizable as any others in Kartra.
- You may choose to send a welcome email, a welcome SMS text, or no welcome message. (Marked 1 below)
- Modify the welcome email using the email form. (Marked 2 below)
- Hit Save and next (Marked 3 Below)
This is possibly the most important step of your form setup. Here, you determine what happens to the leads that fill out your form. Choose:
- Tags (Marked 1 Below)
- Lists (Marked 2 Below)
- Sequences (Marked 3 Below)
- Automations (Marked 4 Below)
If you would like to start an automation when the form is filled out…
- In the form, select the cause and effect options you wish to use.
- Click the blue Add button when your selections are made.
- When finished, click Save.
Designing the Form
Next you choose whether your form will be embedded in a Kartra Page, Kartra Video, or on your own site (Marked 1 Below). If you choose your own site, you will next be able to customize your form by clicking Launch the Form Builder (Marked 2 Below).
On the left sidebar, you will find your form settings and template options. The settings include:
- Whether to have an embedded form or a button that leads to an overlay window
- Fixed width or dynamically adjusting width based on the size of the window
- Border appearance of the form box itself
Once you have these settings selected, choose a template to use (Marked 1 Below). Each are able to be edited to your needs by simply clicking the pencil icon (Marked 2 Below)! Once you have a template you like, you can use the top three buttons (Marked 3 Below) to preview how the form will look in a desktop, tablet, and phone formats. When you’re all done, use the actions menu (Marked 4 Below) to save your progress, preview the form, and finally Save & Exit.
As you can see, your options for customizing your opt-in forms in Kartra are almost limitless. Kartra Forms are a stunning and easy way to start your marketing funnel.
Putting a Form on a Page Built in Kartra
Once you have a form built, placing it onto a Kartra page is nearly effortless.
- Go to My Pages in the left-hand menu.
- Edit a page you have, or create a new page.
- Once in the Builder, enter into component mode by clicking the box icon at the top of the page next to the grid icon (which represents Column Mode).
- You can add one of our Template Opt-in forms anywhere on the page, OR you can add one of the Forms you created in the My Campaigns section into a Button on your page.
To add one of our template opt-in forms:
- Click COMPONENTS in the left-hand menu and select “Opt-In Forms” from the component section. There you can click and drag a form into your page.
- Edit the form by clicking the pencil icon above it to customize the form.
- You can edit the Style, the Form (selecting from Forms you have previously created), the Fields (the text in the fields will be determined by with Form you choose, but here you can customize the size and color of the boxes and text) and the Button text and colors.
To add one of your own Forms that you have previously created:
Alternatively, you can create an overlay window for your form by dragging a button into the page.
- In the COMPONENTS list, select Buttons and drag and drop the one you like onto your page.
- Once the button is in place, mouse over it and click the pencil icon to edit it.
- A CONFIGURATION menu will appear on the left of your screen. Select “Link” at the top.
- Then choose “Pop an Opt-in Window”, then open the drop-down menu at the bottom, labeled SELECT OPT-IN. You can select your form from this list!
- Click the big green Apply button and your Form will now open when the button is clicked.
Assigning a Captured Lead to an Automated Sequence
In Kartra, once you’ve captured a lead using an opt-in form, it’s easy to add them to a sequence so that you can follow up automatically with them. This is just like using an autoresponder, but you can do it all right from Kartra.
Assuming you’ve made a Sequence already (here’s our article on creating Sequences), you’ll simply:
- Go to My Forms.
- Edit your Opt-in Form.
- Continue on to the step called “Automation,” which is the next step after “Welcome”.
- Click the +NEW AUTOMATION button to create an automation for this form.
- In the IF section, select “Lead fills this form” and click the blue Add button.
- In the THEN section, select “Subscribe lead to sequence” and then choose the sequence and the step you want them added to; then click the blue Add button.
- Hit the green Save button, and you’ve added an automation to your Form!
Now, any time a visitor fills out your form, they’ll be added to your Sequence. With sequences, you can add multiple, targeted emails at specific times – and much more!
Looking at Form Analytics
Once your form begins collecting leads, you can find statistics about it under the Analytics tab. At the top of the page, you will see a large graph depicting:
- Visitors, or those who viewed your form
- Subscribers, or those who filled out your form
- Pending, or those who have not yet been processed
- Opt-in ratio, or the percentage of those who signed up after viewing your form
You can change the data shown using the two bubbles at the bottom of the graph (Marked 5 Above). In addition, using the two drop-down menus (Marked 6 Above), you can specify a form and time frame to analyze. Below this is listed all of your forms along with their individual data:
- Form name
- Ratio (Opt-In Ratio as shown earlier)
- Today (Subscriptions from today)
- Yesterday (Subscriptions from yesterday)
- Confirmation (whether you have chosen single, or double opt-in for the form)
- Pending (how many leads are currently being processed)
As you can see, not only are Kartra forms highly customizable, but smart too. You can find out which forms are performing well, and retool your funnel for better and better returns!