Chances are, one of the first things you’ll want to do to kick off a marketing campaign, product sale or lay the groundwork for a product launch is to start sending your subscribers email. Not only is this possible with Kartra, but you can take your email game to new heights!
In this training, we will cover:
- The Kartra Email Template Builder.
- Sending a broadcast.
- Adding a new autoresponder for your customers.
- Measuring email broadcast results.
With Kartra’s Email Template Builder, you’ll have access to many of the same powerful message building features found in Kartra’s Page Builder, but optimized for email deliverability and consumption. This includes great looking templates that you can easily edit any way you choose.
Once you arrange things how you like, you can save email templates for use later. Simply Save your new template(s) to welcome new customers and subscribers, to deliver important information in a longer format or to alert them of a new blog post or video you’ve created on your social media channel(s).
The email designer can make you look as professional as any mainstream company on the web. Now you can send gorgeous looking emails each and every time.
The Email Template Builder
When starting a sequence or a broadcast in Kartra, you’ll likely be creating an email within the Email Template Builder. You could create an email using the basic system or you can switch to the Advanced tab to gain access to our gorgeous pre-built design templates.
You’ll find the toggle switch to go between Basic and Advanced email building when you’re in your Broadcast setup steps, on the Message step. Click the toggle switch over to Advanced to see the templates offered as well as the option to save your template.
Select elements from the sidebar and simply drag them into the spot you want them utilized. Once you have a template you like, you can save it to your favorites by clicking “Save as Template”.
Now you can easily use the same template with different content for whatever your purposes may be! Just drag the template you created into the editing area, and click the pencil icon to change individual elements. Creating an email template is just that easy!
Sending a Broadcast
Kartra has more than one way to send out messages but the basic way of doing so is to use the Broadcasts feature. This is a full-featured email marketing system and autoresponder, included within all the other amazing things that Kartra does to help handle your business tasks.
Here’s what you need to know about how to create and send a Broadcast:
- Go to My Campaigns.
- Select CAMPAIGNS and then Broadcasts at the top of the page.
- Click the big green +BROADCAST button.
- Enter a name and a category for your broadcast to your Leads. You can click “Manage Categories” to add categories for your broadcasts which will help you keep your broadcasts organized.
- Choose whether to send your message by email or SMS (text message), and fill in or change any sender details needed.
- On the Recipients page, you have a number of powerful options for segmenting your broadcasts; you can send to everyone in your database, only those who have or have not opened a particular prior email, those who are subscribed to a particular List, those with particular tags, etc. You can add multiple rules for segmenting your messages (for example, those who are subscribed to a list AND have a specific tag). This kind of flexibility is part of what makes Kartra broadcasts so powerful.
- On the next page, the Message settings, you will compose your message(s). Kartra offers built-in A/B testing of email broadcasts, so you can make sure your emails have optimal conversions.
- When designing an email for your broadcast, you can make use of our Email Template Builder by clicking over from Basic to Advanced and selecting the DESIGN TEMPLATES menu. You can learn more about our Email Template Builder by clicking here.
- With the Basic Email Builder, you will simply write an email as you would with any email software, with full options for formatting the text and for inserting images and videos.
- Once you’ve composed your message, you can move on to the next step: Automations. Here, you have many powerful options for automating actions. See here for more on tagging and automations in Kartra.
- On the next screen of the Broadcasts settings, “Send/Schedule,” you can schedule your message to be sent at a future time, or when a specific event occurs, or send it now. This is another opportunity to take advantage of Kartra’s powerful ability to automate your business.
- Also on the Send/Schedule screen will be recommendations calculated by Kartra regarding the times of day that see the most emails being opened, getting response, etc. You will need to have at least 10 broadcasts run in Kartra before that data becomes available but, once it is, it’s an incredible tool for optimizing your email practices.
Adding a New Autoresponder for Your Customers
When you gain a new customer, it is important to follow up with them to let them know they’re appreciated! There are a couple ways to do this, but in this example, we will create a list and sequence.
Create a List
To begin, create a list by following the intuitive prompts below.
- Go to My Campaigns.
- Click the big green +LIST button.
- Enter a name for your List; in our example, we’ll call our list “Paying Customers”.
Create an Automation
Now we’re going to make an automation that adds people who buy your product into the Paying Customers List so you can follow up with them.
- Go to My Products.
- Click EDIT next to the product you want to create the automation for, and then “Edit Product”.
- Click “Save and next” on each page of the settings until you get to the “Post Sale” settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page to “Automation rules” and click “change” then +NEW AUTOMATION.
- In the IF section, select “Customer buys product” in the first dropdown, then select the product funnel and product you are currently editing from the remaining dropdown menus. For our example, you’ll select “Any price” from the last dropdown, since you want to add all paying customers to this list.
- In the Then section, select “Subscribe lead to list” in the first dropdown and then select the “Paying Customers” list from the second dropdown. Remember to click Save!
- Click Confirm, and this automation has been added to your product. Any time somebody buys it, they will be added to the Paying Customers List.
Create a Sequence
Now we’ll create a Sequence for automatically sending your follow-up emails to all your paying customers.
- Go to My Campaigns.
- Click CAMPAIGNS and then Sequences at the top of the screen.
- Click the big green +SEQUENCE button.
- Give your sequence a name – such as Paying Customer Follow-up.
- Click the +STARTING RULE box, and click “List”.
- Select the Paying Customers list in the “Select list” dropdown, and you will see that it creates a starting point for this Sequence of, “Lead subscribes to list Paying Customers” – and, since we’ve already set up an automation where every customer who buys your product is subscribed to that list, every time somebody buys they will be added to this Sequence.
- Now you can add emails into the sequence, to follow up with your buyers.
- Click and drag the “Send email” box from the menu on the left into the sequence builder.
- Follow through the setup steps to create the email you want to and configure when it will send. On the “Filter” step, you can select “Anyone reaching this step” to send the email to everyone who purchases.
- You can add multiple follow-up emails by adding more “Send email” boxes to the sequence, and have them go out at different (delay) times.
- You can also segment and target the messages using the If-Then rules in the “Filter” settings.
You can also create individual follow-up sequences for each product you have in order to promote the products your customers may not have seen or purchased yet. Using the flexibility of multiple rules, you can even create a specific sequence for when someone purchases multiple related products. That’s another example of the power of Kartra in action.
Measuring Email Broadcast Results
With every feature of Kartra, you have a full suite of detailed analytics at your disposal so that you can monitor what’s working and what isn’t. Your email broadcasts are no different.
After you’ve sent out an email broadcast, you can go to My Campaigns, and click ANALYTICS in the top menu. Then, select “Broadcasts” underneath that to see how your emails have been doing.
The default view is of all your broadcasts thus far, but you can use the dropdown menus at the top to narrow down your view.
You’ll be shown stats for opens, clicks, goals that you’ve set, revenue per recipient – and much more. Anything you would want to know about how your emails are doing, it’s right here!
If you scroll down, you’ll see that there’s even more information at the bottom of the page, such as how many of your emails were sent to spam or resulted in an unsubscribe. You can view this information as a total number of emails or as a percentage of emails sent.
Kartra has an extremely robust set of analytics features for you to monitor (and then refine accordingly) the performance of every aspect of your business.